I am thrilled to introduce you to Kat Fulton, my very first guest! Kat is a music therapist, speaker and music therapy business coach based out of San Diego, CA. She is also the owner of Sound Health Music, an organization that encourages, enables and empowers people to develop their potential through music experiences.
I first discovered Kat in October 2013 when I was just getting started on my entrepreneurial journey. At the time, I was listening to half a dozen podcasts on business, but despite hearing success stories from ordinary people like myself, I wasn’t convinced that I could be one of them — I didn’t think that a classical musician could be a successful entrepreneur.
Well, I was wrong.
When I heard Kat’s story on one of those podcasts, it blew me away. It gave me the confidence I needed to take my first steps in starting my own business. From studying classical piano in college to launching her own music therapy organization, Kat’s journey is full of lessons that every artist can learn from. I hope that after hearing her story, you too will be inspired to believe in yourself and continue forward on your journey.
In This Episode, You’ll Learn…
- What Kat did when she realized she didn’t want to be a music professor.
- Why Kat chose to be a music therapist over a classical pianist.
- Why Kat turned down a job offer to start her own business.
- How running her own music therapy business literally made Kat sick!
- How blogging and online business enabled Kat to stop trading her hours for dollars.
- How experimentation and failure led Kat to one major breakthrough.
- How Kat is able to create jobs in the music therapy industry.
- Career advice for college students who are studying music therapy.
- How being an entrepreneur gives Kat the freedom to practice her art whenever she wants.
- Kat’s purpose in life.
Links and Resources
- American Music Therapy Association (AMTA).
- Rhythm for Good, Kat’s personal blog.
- Are There Any Music Therapy Jobs Out There? Kat has the answer.
- Introducing Black Eyed Peas to Boomwhackers, Kat’s viral music video.
- Music Therapy Ed, Kat’s on-demand continuing education resource for music therapists.
- Mindstorm Mondays, Kat’s weekly webinar series for music therapists.
- Sound Health Music, Kat’s company website.
- Brandon Mayer, The music of Brandon Mayer and the Hidden Powers.
The Power of Music, A Short Documentary About Music Therapy
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks again for listening to the first episode of the Arts Entrepreneurs Podcast! If this show has helped you in any way, please share it using the social media buttons you see on the page.
Additionally, please head on over to iTunes to leave an honest review — I’d love to hear what you think. Plus, the more reviews this podcast has, the better it will rank in iTunes and the easier it will be for other artists to find and benefit from it.
And lastly, if you have any questions or know of someone you’d like to be featured on the show, please send me a message on my contact page.
Thanks again to Kat for sharing her story with us — and to you for listening!